The CAU AI Lab
The CAU AI Lab is a team of professor and students who develop algorithmic, mathematical, statistical, and computational methods that are central in the knowledge engineering of data mining.
Our mission is to create ideas that deepen and advance our understanding of data mining and with those ideas to develop the most accurate, innovative, efficient and methodologically advanced data mining algorithms.
What is Data Mining?
"Data Mining is an interdisciplinary area focusing upon methodologies for extracting useful knowledge from data. The ongoing rapid growth of online data due to the Internet and the widespread use of databases have created an immense need for data mining methodologies. The challenge of extracting knowledge from data draws upon research in statistics, databases, pattern recognition, machine learning, data visualization, optimization, and high-performance computing, to deliver advanced business intelligence and web discovery solutions." - excerpt from IBM Watson Research Center.
"The science of extracting useful information from large data sets or databases is known as data mining. Data mining is the analysis of observational data sets to find unsuspected relationships and to summarize the data in novel ways that are both understandable and useful to the data owner." - excerpt from "Principles of Data Mining," by D. Hand et al.
Areas of interest include, but are not limited to:
Data Mining Foundations
- Human-readable novel algorithms: Bayes, Decision Tree, Regression, Rule Mining, Ensemble
- Data pre-processing, feature selection, sampling, and local search
- Handling imbalanced/ mixed/ missing/ multi-label/ under-sampled/ structured/ large-scale data
- Mining biomedical/ emotional/ web/ stream/ sensor/ temporal/ sparse data
Innovative Applications of Data Mining
- Context and Emotion-based Recommendation System
- Biomedical informatics: disease diagnosis and prognosis prediction
- Education Data Mining: Intelligent Tutoring System
- Intelligent Robot Interaction
We are interested in new students to work with our members. The best way to learn what is going on in the CAU AI Lab is browsing our website to look around our publications, research projects, and softwares developed by our members.
The basic requirements for being a good graduate student are a passion for research and getting good grades in undergraduate classes such as algorithm and artificial intelligence.
Artificial Intelligence and Data Mining Lab
School of Computer Science and Engineering